Monday 12 November 2012

The Future

I've always had this notion that in some way, I knew I could tell the future to some extent. In my mind I've many times pondered that if there was a way to tell the future, would I want to take advantage of it? Or would I want to stay away from this knowledge and keep hold of the whole 'destiny' thing. In a way, I am a bit of a believer is destiny, but then in another I'm not. I suppose in a way you would just say that I believe everything is a bit set out, but your destiny changes a fair bit with everything you do.

This big idea of destiny and the future came to me about two minutes ago when I was sweeping the floors downstairs in my house for literally the third time in a week, and none of those times the floor was actually in apparent need of my mother's obsessive cleaning. Today is my Dad's birthday, so tonight we've got the whole family coming over, thus the entire house including the areas such as my room that will not be visited by anything 'need' to be cleaned. I was sweeping and thinking of how tonights events are going to transpire; A bit of "Hey! I couldn't care less that you're here but I'll pretend its great to see you" introductions, unwanted kisses from the delightful smelling chain smoking aunty, some amazing food (I'll give it to her, my mum is a fantastic cook), plenty of awkward small talk about my life's path, my grades and university options, and of course the cake ritual which is always a bit of amusement. Considering everyone is coming at around 7.00pm, I can expect that the last of the relatives will leave at 11.30ish, meaning there'll be at the very least 2 hours of boredom. With this obnoxious thought and various memories of favourite Doctor Who moments in mind, I had an epiphany: I can predict the future.

Despite this prediction being a pretty bland and somewhat obvious one, it is a prediction all the same with an almost certain outcome. But, the future is all wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey so I do indeed have the power to change its outcome. Because I have time to prepare, I can rummage through my 'random stuff to do' folder and figure out a way to escape the scrutiny of my life choices and avoid the evil looks when I say that I don't particularly want to go to uni, that it's more of a 'I-have-to-or-I-wont-have-many-acceptable-job-pportunities' type thing. Because of my musicality, every time the parentals have someone over, I'm expected to play the piano for them. As much as I hate playing when requested to and playing for the my-child-is-more-impressive-than-yours reason, it does give me a reason to politely get everyone to stop talking to me and feel obliged to compliment me. (I find this a much better way to fish for complements than "omg i look so gross in this pic. like the photo not the link" type crap). Anyway, along with this, I always manage to scuttle off to my cave (aka my room) and do whatever until I'm re-summoned. But once I reach my room, I'm confronted with the new-found boredom of "what the hell do I do now?"

This is my solution: Head downstairs, keep learning guitar and only show myself for bragging time and food time (these times may intertwine). By keeping track of what's probably going on upstairs and what is about to happen, I can ultimately predict and even change the future.

Mind. Fucking. Blown

No comments:

Post a Comment